Friday, September 14, 2007

Huckabee in Bettendorf

I saw that the Governor was going to be stumping in Bettendorf Iowa on Thursday night so I thought I'd take the short trip over (about 2 hour drive). As always, I was not disappointed. There were about 100 people there. Wes the organizer from the Des Moines office was hoping for 40-50.

The evening started with an introduction by Iowa Senator David Heartsuch who also added his endorsement of Governor Huckabee. Heartsuch who stated he only raised $3,500 in his own primary said that money is not the only factor in a political race. Having the right message for your constituents is what really matters.

Mike Huckabee addressed the crowd while swatting away the mosquitoes. But most people hardly noticed the bugs. Mike said " I liked the people of Iowa before August 11th. After August 11th I love the people of Iowa!" Later he stated that (paraphrasing here) I have more confidence in the people here eating popcorn, than those out East sipping cocktails. Mike even offered the crowd his own recipe for grilled corn on the cob. He's a cook too!!

The evening ended with a crew from MSNBC interviewing Mike on his reaction to the President's speech.

Well worth the drive. I still wish I could be of more help to the campaign. Most of the time I feel like a new mother without a baby to hold. I don't know what to do that will make a difference in this campaign.

Mike jokingly told the crowd in Bettendorf that it's too bad the Illinois people can't just come to Iowa and set up a temporary residence.

I would if I could!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karla,
I am a quilter too (not professional though!), and I love your webpage! I had an idea - you could put out a shout to all the other quilter-Huck supporters out there and we could each make a block for a Huckabee quilt. Then we could try to auction it, sell it at a rally, OR give it to President Huckabee at his inauguration!!! Just a thought ...
Keep up the great commentary. I live in SC so we are one of the first primaries. I am praying that Mike will do well here. As the song goes, "little is much when God is in it..."
Take care

Donate Today

My Choice For President

MikeHuckabee.com - I Like Mike!

Counter